Thursday, January 26, 2012

FuFu Illustrates the Four Classial Lighting Patterns

I am one week into a 10-week course "Introduction to Lighting Techniques" at ICP.  Our assignment for the first week is to take a photo of each of the four classical lighting patterns: split, loop, Rembrandt and glamour/butterfly. If you are interested you can learn more about these patterns here. On that webpage they are illustrated by a kind of goofy looking actor.  Actually, I think it might be a mannequin.  Regardless, I find it kind of creepy and prefer FuFu's modelling below!  Conventionally these are meant to be lighting patterns for human portraits but JoJo was not as willing a model as FuFu, so you have to make do with what you've got.  If you have lemons, make lemonade.  If you have a cat, make cat portraits.

I couldn't decide between two potential Rembrandt shots, so I include them both, one stationary and one "action" shot:
And here, of course, is a split lighting pattern:

Loop and glamor are kind of similar, and with cats the shadow on the nose which is the telltale sign of which pattern is in play is not as visible.  Anyway, I am calling this one loop lighting:
And rounding out the classical 4 we have glamor / beauty / butterfly / Hollywood:
Our instructor also added a semi-official 5th pattern, "monster" lighting.  Here, instead of re-inventing the wheel I instantly knew I had the purr-fect example of this lighting effect from the AMACA2Cs archive, which long-time faithful followers surely will remember as it is an image that is difficult to forget!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jim & Polocat - I hope my instructor will agree with your sentiments Polocat. Sometimes you just don't know, either you like cat photography or you don't!

    ReplyDelete