Monday, February 13, 2012

Reading About Big (Endangered) Cats, With a Small (Pampered) Cat on My Lap

I figure this is the perfect photo to introduce my carefully curated cat book recommendations, which you can find just to the right of this (and all future) blog posts courtesy of a nice Amazon.com widget (mobile followers, take a look a the website on the big screen of a "real" computer every now-and-then!). I will only recommend books that 1.) Are about cats; 2.) that I have read; and 3.) that are good. The selection includes the book that I am reading here, The Tiger, A True Story of Vengeance and Survival, a truly excellent book on many levels. It is a suspenseful page-turner, a big cat conservation plea, and certainly a paean to the mystique, power & beauty of felines of all sizes. It really opened my eyes to the plight of tigers, of which there are only several hundred left in the wild. Alas, I have found a new cause. This weekend I made donations to National Geographic's Big Cat Initiative and the Wildlife Conservation Society, which are two of the many non-profit groups working to protect big cat habitats. Furthermore, I will be donating any "kickbacks" that I get from Amazon when anyone clicks through and purchases these books to similar charities (and perhaps a bit more to local cat rescue as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment